The Philips Respironics Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine is a machine that keeps one’s airway open by providing a stream of air at a continuous pressure through a mask. Unfortunately, this machine has been recalled due to the reported health events and deaths that are on the rise. With this recall has come a class-action recall lawsuit. Follow along to find out more about the CPAP recall lawsuit and how a proficient Pike County, KY product liability lawyer at Shane Hall Attorney At Law, PLLC can help determine your eligibility.
What can I know about the CPAP recall lawsuit?
There is a major chain of events that has led to the recall of the Philips CPAP machine and ultimately to the call-action lawsuit. This sequence of events reads as follows:
- April 26, 2021: Philips issued a public safety notice advising of potential health risks related to the polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam used in the CPAP machine degrading over time and causing users to inhale harmful chemicals.
- June 14, 2021: Philips issued a nationwide recall on almost all of its CPAP machines that use the PE-PUR sound abatement foam.
- December 13, 2021: the FDA concluded its investigation that Philips knew about the problems with the PE-PUR foam for years but failed to take any action.
- February 12, 2023: the FDA reported that approximately 98,000 health events and 350 have been reported in connection to the Philips CPAP machines.
Can I file a lawsuit?
Simply put you may be qualified to enter into the CPAP recall lawsuit if any or all of the following apply to you:
- You own a Philips CPAP machine that was made before 2021 and which uses the PE-PUR sound abatement foam.
- You have owned this Philips CPAP machine for six months or more.
- You have received a serious health diagnosis, such as a respiratory condition, lung damage, or cancer as a result.
And while it is still early in the CPAP litigation proceedings, the following cancers are believed to have been caused by the PE-PUR sound abatement foam in the Philips CPAP”
- Breast cancer.
- Brain cancer.
- Bladder cancer.
- Hematopoietic cancer.
- Liver cancer.
- Lymphatic cancer, including non-Hodgkins.
- Lung cancer, including lung injuries.
- Multiple myeloma.
- Prostate cancer.
- Stomach cancer.
- Testicular cancer.
- Thyroid cancer.
Seemingly, more types of cancers and other diseased are sure to be unearthed by the lawyers and scientists covering this case.
Notably, the deadline to enter into this lawsuit may vary case-by-case and state-by-state. Nonetheless, the sooner you kickstart your legal action, the better. You must not hesitate in reaching out to a Pikeville, KY personal injury lawyer. We will do anything and everything in our power to help you attain justice, along with the financial compensation that you require to heal. So give us a call today.