If you get injured in a hit-and-run accident, you may be thinking that there’s no possible way for you to get the compensation that you deserve. That’s not necessarily the case though. If you do things right, you may be able to track down the other driver and make a claim against their insurance policy. A Pike County, KY car accident lawyer from our firm may be able to help you.

What Can I Do Right After a Hit-and-Run Accident?

Getting involved in a hit-and-run accident can be a jarring experience, but keeping a cool head can be beneficial. Remember, now is the time to gather evidence, build your case, and get as much information to the cops as you can. You should:

  • Take pictures of the cars and the accident scene
  • Call the cops to the accident scene so that they can fill out a report
  • Talk to nearby people to see if anyone witnessed the crash

Is It a Hit-and-Run Accident If I’m Given Wrong Information?

Unfortunately, getting the wrong information from the other driver can basically turn your accident into a hit-and-run accident. If you call the number you were given and it turns out that the other driver lied about how to contact them, that can be a major headache.

This is part of the reason to call the cops to the scene. They will take down the other driver’s info when they arrive and begin filling out their report. Drivers are usually less brazen about lying when the cops get involved. If the other driver wants to exchange info and leave the cops out of it, that’s a red flag.

It’s also a good idea to get a shot of the license plate when you take pictures of the cars after an accident. Even if there is no damage nearby, find an excuse to get a shot of the full plate, just in case.

Will the Cops Catch the Other Driver After a Hit-and-Run?

It is possible that the cops will catch the other driver. If they do not, you may need to use your own insurance coverage to pay for your damages. Depending on what kind of coverage you have, your insurer should be able to help you out with medical bills and car repairs. Unfortunately, you cannot make a claim to your own insurer asking for compensation for pain and suffering. You would have to find the other driver and ask for pain and suffering damages from them.

Contact Our Law Firm Today

So if you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, know that you do not have to fight for compensation on your own. Contact Shane Hall Attorney at Law, PLLC and talk to a seasoned personal injury attorney today. We would like to tell you more about how we can be of assistance.