Passengers who get injured in a car accident due to the actions of a negligent driver may wonder if they can sue that driver for damages and hold them accountable. Sometimes they can, but sometimes it’s not necessary or even allowed. This can be a difficult situation to navigate, so having a Pike County, KY auto accident lawyer on your side can help. We can help you sue the right party and fight for the compensation you deserve

Whose Insurance Policy Covers Passengers?

If you get injured as a passenger, your first option is your insurance coverage. If you have car insurance of your own, that policy can be used to pay medical bills and other expenses. If you do not have your own coverage, the driver of the car that you were riding in should have insurance coverage that can pay for medical expenses and lost wages. This is personal injury protection, and one of our attorneys can help you file a claim against the insurer.

What Should Passengers Do After an Accident?

Passengers should take some steps to begin building a case as soon as they can. This means gathering information and evidence right after the accident. Take pictures of the accident scene. Get everyone’s insurance and contact info. If you have injuries, get medical care right away and keep everything documented. This makes it easier to build a case later.

It’s also important to make sure that the cops are called to the scene. They can file their own report, and your insurance company is probably going to want a copy of that. Your attorney can also make use of it.

Can Passengers Still Sue a Negligent Driver?

If the previously mentioned insurance policies do not offer enough coverage to make up for all of your expenses, it may be time to pursue legal action against the negligent driver. This can only be done in certain circumstances though. You must show that your medical expenses are more than $1,000 and that the accident caused one of the following issues:

  • Permanent disfigurement
  • Compound fracture of a bone
  • Permanent disability
  • Fracture of a weight-bearing bone
  • Loss of a bodily function

Only in these circumstances can you pursue damages and sue another driver involved in the crash.

What Can My Compensation Cover?

A fair compensation offer should not just make up for the economic losses caused by an accident, like the previously mentioned medical expenses and lost wages. You should also be awarded non-economic damages, including compensation for:

  • Loss of enjoyment
  • Pain and suffering
  • Mental anguish
  • Agony caused by disfigurement or disability

Talk to an Experienced Attorney Today

If you are confused about the next steps, contact Shane Hall Attorney at Law, PLLC. Our firm can schedule a consultation and give you the chance to meet with legal experts. We will take a closer look at your case and help you explore all of your legal options.